Wednesday 26 May 2010

3-Stage Fan-Art Illustration

This is fan-art for Vampire Knight, a very popular Shoujo Manga I have been reading for several years now. I adore the art style as it's really pretty and detailed. The story has taken a really big dramatic turn in recent chapters so I'm really enjoying reading it.

On a recent poll I conducted on my deviantart page, my amazing watchers/friends suggested some ideas I could use for my intended next "Vampire Knight Copic Illustration".

My main inspiration were old late 19th - early 20th century photos. I really adore them. I've found a few that I really like, and will be using these for future illustration in the same style as these.

Anyway---Here's the 3 stages I went through for this illustration:

1) Pencil. Done on A4 normal printer paper. Referenced from this photo -->
http://img6.imageshack.us/i/gg01160preview.jpg/



2) Pen or fineliner. Lineart. I put a new piece of paper over the pencil and held them together with 2 paper fasteners. I then put this on my lightbox and outlined it in the fineliner. This is the most lengthy and time consuming process. Mainly because my pen was bleeding into the paper, so I had to really carefully draw the lines - It was nerve-wracking! Done using a 0.1 brown fineliner.



3) Copics. I used 4 Copic marker colours to then colour this piece in. I love Copic markers as they're really smooth and fun to use. I have "Set D" which has 36 markers. I chose this set as it had the most "muted" tones. The others had nice colours too, but this one had less bright and sickly colours which I didn't prefer.
So I used Warm Gray 1,3,5 and 7 for this piece to give it the "sepia" feel.



And that's the finished piece! I really enjoyed the process and I'm planning on doing a few more for Vampire Knight characters. I also want to try some other themes with this idea too. I've got the whole summer, I want to make use of it!
This illustration can also be seen at my deviantart account--> http://daiskianimej.deviantart.com/

Ciao
x

No comments:

Post a Comment